When driving in Neptune NJ, you may notice that the check engine light is on, which can both frustrate and confuse you. If the check engine light flashes continuously, then you may have an emergency at hand, in which case you need to turn off the engine and seek help from a mechanic in Freehold, Asbury Park, or Belmar.
If the light remains steady, you need not be alarmed, although it is still a good idea to get it checked.
"Why Is My Check Engine Light On?"
Before you visit a garage, take a close look at our top 10 reasons behind why your check engine light is on.
1. A faulty oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. This sensor monitors the amount of unburnt oxygen in the exhaust.
2. Your car’s gas cap is either loose or faulty. A loose or faulty gas cap allows fuel vapors to leak, which in turn can ruin the fuel system. When this happens, the check engine light will come on.
3. The catalytic converter requires replacement. The catalytic converter helps with decreasing exhaust gas emissions. When it fails, your car will not only have decreased gas mileage but also won't go any faster when you step on the gas.
4. Defective mass airflow sensor. This sensor is responsible for informing the onboard computer to add the right amount of fuel according to the amount of air that comes through the engine. If it fails, higher emissions occur, leading to a stalled engine.
5. Spark plugs or wires need to be replaced. A failing spark plug will misfire, and your car will jolt when you hit the accelerator.
6. Incompatible aftermarket parts. Another reason why the check engine light comes on is because of incompatible components in your vehicle.
7. Broken ignition coil. The ignition coil assists with fuel combustion in the cylinders.
8. The thermostat needs to be replaced. The thermostat regulates the engine’s coolant temperature.
9. The evaporative emissions purge control valve. This valve is a part of the EVAP system. When it does not perform according to specifications, the check engine light will start flashing.
10. Faulty evaporative emissions purge solenoid. This solenoid controls the amount of fuel vapor emitted by the exhaust. If it's left partly open, visit Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi in Neptune, NJ immediately.
Contact our Team of Service Experts at Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi!
Our team of engineers at Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi are dedicated to the care and quality workmanship from expert maintenance to deeper repairs. Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi is the go-to for drivers in need of service and maintenance including brakes, tires, oil changes, transmission repair and more in NJ. You will enjoy our skilled employees, offering top-notch quality at extremely competitive rates. Make your own vehicle, truck, minivan or SUV with all-weather floor mats, fresh wiper blades, or a family bike rack. Our extensive departments of components and accessories will discover the perfect fit for your car and active lifestyle. Stop by Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi in Neptune, NJ for all your vehicle needs.