Mitsubishi: Innovation Through the Years
Mitsubishi: Innovation Through the Years | Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi
Mitsubishi has lead the car industry, encompassing the very definition of innovation, creativity, and consistency. Since its first foray into car manufacturing in 1917, Mitsubishi has been consistently delivering top quality products, breaking world records, winning top-notch races, and showcasing outstanding technology that has boosted the car industry into what it is today. Many of the features on today’s cars, especially when it comes to gas-injected engines, electric cars, and the well-known Traction Control System have been pioneered by Mitsubishi and created by their team of brilliant minds. Here are a few notable innovative moves that Mitsubishi has made over the last 100 years:
- 1917 - Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Co., LTD. introduced its very first car. Mitsubishi Model-A. (designed as a luxury vehicle for government officials), first mass-produced car in Japanese history.
- 1962 - Mitsubishi Motors win its first entry in an international motorsports event, setting a track record. (Mitsubishi 500, the first car to be aerodynamically tested in a wind tunnel in Japan.
- 1970 - Mitsubishi Motors is the first automaker to mass market an electric vehicle.
- 1971 - Mitsubishi sells its first car in America, remarked as the Dodge Colt.
- 1976 - Mitsubishi Motors develops the breakthrough Silent Shaft Engine Technology and licenses it to Porsche, Saab, and Fiat.
- 1980 - Mitsubishi engineers the world’s first energy-saving Turbo Diesel engine with Silent Shaft Technology.
- 1982 - Mitsubishi is introduced to America with the launches of the Tredia, Cordia, and the Starion models.
- 1987 - The Galant VR-4 is the world’s first vehicle to feature an Active Electronically Controlled Suspension, and receives the Car of the Year award in Japan.
- 1990 - Designs the world’s first electronically-controlled Traction Control System, which is now legally required as a safety feature in many countries, including the United States.
- 1992 - Japan Car Research names Mitsubishi’s INVEC System, which adapts to a person’s driving habits, Adaptive Control Technology of the Year.
- 1992 - Introduces MIVEC technology, which maintains engine performance while maximizing fuel efficiency.
- 1996 - Mitsubishi launches the world’s first Gasoline Direct Injection.
- 2005 - The newly launched Outlander becomes the world’s first compact SUV to offer the environmentally friendly PZEV V6 Engine, affirming Mitsubishi’s commitment to green technology.
- 2009 - Following 40 years of development, the i-MiEV, innovative Electric Vehicle is launched worldwide.
- 2013 - Releasing the Outlander PHEV, the world’s first Plug-In Hybrid SUV, Mitsubishi wins Car of the Year’s Innovation Award in Japan.
The facts simply speak for themselves. Don’t you see a trend? Us too. Be sure to stop by Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi and test drive the brand new Mitsubishi models and feel the legacy continue as you drive home in your new Mitsubishi. Sansone Jr's 66 Mitsubishi is located in Neptune City, NJ, so stop on by and discover the beauty of Mitsubishi.